Friday, May 1, 2009

Co-op Stamps



Bit of nostalgia for older people. Now, this shows that something that existed in their millions but can no longer to be found. Ephemera becomes the rarity in your own lifetime. Everytime I've shown this book to people the reaction has been - where did you get that from? Somewhere in my archives there is a book of Green Shield stamps, and an even more obscure blue stamps from some other company.

Dividend Stamps were introduced in 1965. It was an alternative to the traditional methods of paying the 'divi', and as a response to the adoption of trading stamps by other food retailers (Tesco adopted the Green Shield stamps scheme). Some individual societies operated their own stamp schemes but the CWS National scheme was in use from 1969. Don't know when they ceased.

Further reading : Trading Stamps - Wikipedia

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

I just came across a couple of books but it is the Sunwin Motor group that had them last. If=n fact I bought y last car from Sunwin and got points on my co-op card for doing so

Reyanne Choudhury said...

i have a page of them but was woundering how much they are worth now and if they are worth something i was wishing to sell is it a good idea

Anonymous said...

I found some of the 5 coop stamps in a house clearance, if you want to complete your book, let me know at andythedarkone@hotmail.co.uk

Mike said...

I just found a load in the attic of my new house. Are they of any value?

Unknown said...

I've got 3 books full of the ones in your picture two are full of 5's one is full of the 40's

Unknown said...

I've got 3 books full of the ones in your picture two are full of 5's one is full of the 40's

Unknown said...

I have two books of the ones in your photo One is complete with 40's stamps The second one only two or three pages full. Are they of any value?

Unknown said...

Does anyone take them or know if they are of any worth I have a few books

You can email : coop AT biffadigital.org with any information that will help in the making of this history.